||The Joe James Center is located in northwest Jacksonville, at the intersection of Grunthal Street and Hurst Place. Across the street from the Center resides Grunthal Park, which was initially developed around 1945, probably as a Negro facility known as the Joe James Playground. The City purchased the site for the community center in 1959, and it was named at the opening in August 1963. Joe H. James, Jr. (1892-1966) was a white real estate broker, who organized and directed the Jacksonville Negro Welfare League during the 1920ís and 30ís, and also served as chairman of both the Colored Division of the Community Chest and the Charity Agency Federation. At the request of City Council Member Denise Lee, the City renovated the Center in 1994, and with the support of City Council Member Gwen Yates, completed another improvement project in 2002. As of July 2006, the Center is closed, opening only for special events.