||Edwards Park is located in north Jacksonville’s Dyal-Upchurch subdivision, which was platted in 1904. The Dyal-Upchurch Company moved to the City and hired Henry Klutho as architect for the first high-rise building constructed in downtown after the Great Fire of 1901. During the period from 1920 to 1928, the City purchased the land for the park, which was expanded by the addition of two lots in 1951. When the park opened around 1928, it was named Walter Edwards Park and contained a baseball diamond with a backstop. A small community center with a meeting room and restrooms was built on the west side of Franklin Street, and may at one time been considered part of the park. In 1975, the passive park’s design was the same as today – a square expanse of lawn with a circular concrete walk in the middle, from which diagonal and perpendicular walks radiate to the perimeter.