||Grunthal Park is located adjacent to Grunthal Street in northwest Jacksonville, across from the Cityís Joe James Community Center. Initially developed probably as a Negro playground around 1945, and expanded between 1956 and 1958, it was known as the Joe James Playground. The nearby community center opened in 1963. Joe H. James, Jr. (1892-1966) was a white real estate broker, who organized and directed the Jacksonville Negro Welfare League during the 1920ís and 30ís, and also served as chairman of both the Colored Division of the Community Chest and the Charity Agency Federation. The City has completed numerous improvement projects over the years, including the planting of trees at the park in 1978, many of which have matured today. And with the support of City Council Member Gwen Yates, three renovation projects were completed at Grunthal Park between 2001 and 2003.