||Thomas Jefferson Park is located in the Marietta section of northwest Jacksonville, south of the intersection of Bulls Bay Highway and Old Plank Road. Around the 1830’s, Jacksonville’s founder, Isaiah D. Hart, established a 2000-acre plantation in the area, and by 1885 the community of Marietta existed. In addition to the park, the adjacent elementary school that was built in 1926 and the privately owned civic center that opened in 1952 are named for Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), third president of the U.S. from 1801 to 1809. The initial 7-acre park was developed by Duval County in 1955-56, and expanded by 6 acres in 1977, with the swimming pool opening in 1979. For many years, the Marietta Bullsbay Athletic Association has provided youth baseball/softball/T-ball programs at the park and worked with the City in improving and maintaining the facility. In 2002, the City purchased 11.7 acres adjacent to the park for future expansion.