||John D. Liverman Park is located in the Normandy section of west Jacksonville. The name Normandy dates back to 1944 when Normandy Blvd. was named as a memoriam to the soldiers killed in the World War II invasion at Normandy, a province of France. In 1973, the Normandy Community Club donated a 12-acre parcel to the City for the initial park, and asked that it be named for its past-president John D. Liverman Jr. (1925-67). He served in Europe during WWII and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. The park was later enlarged with adjacent City property that had been used for water and sewer services. Most of the site is open, undeveloped land, and Cedar Creek flows through the middle of the park.