||The Thomas Creek Preserve is located in upper northwestern Jacksonville, near and along Thomas Creek, which divides a portion of Duval and Nassau Counties. The southernmost battle of the American Revolutionary War, and the only one fought in present-day Duval County, took place at Thomas Creek on May 17, 1777. Most of the land was owned at one time by members of the Ogilivie family, who originally settled in the area from Scotland in the mid-1800ís and established the Ogilivie Cemetery near the Preserve. During the period from 1999 to 2002, the City and the St. Johns River Water Management District purchased the property as part of Preservation Project Jacksonville. The site comprises part of the 46,000-acre Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve that was first established in 1988.