||The Alimacani Boat Ramp is located just west of State Road A1A (Heckscher Drive) on Xalvis Island, adjacent to the Fort George River. Some of the first Europeans to arrive in northeast Florida landed on Xalvis Island in 1562. The ramp and nearby Fort George Island (formerly the Timucuan Indian settlement of Alimacani) are part of the 46,000-acre Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve. The boat ramp is situated on land that the City leases from the State of Florida, near the scenic stretch of A1A known as the Buccaneer Trail. For many years a fish camp/restaurant and a recreational vehicle park were operated adjacent to the boat ramp site, and the City purchased this property (now Alimacani Park) in 2002, as part of the Preservation Project. The unimproved ramp provides access to the Fort George River and its tributaries primarily for jet skiers, kayaks, and small jon boats.
This is a high energy shoreline with substantial tidal currents. To address this issue, granite rip rap was installed along the boundary line with funding assistance from Florida Inland Navagation District in 2010. This material has been chosen to match the existing type of material used by FDOT to the east, under the Ft. George Inlet Bridge.
2011: Current construction is for the water taxi.