||Carvill Park is located in the Norwood area of northwest Jacksonville, just southwest of Interstate 95 and Lem Turner Road. The developer of the Carvill Park subdivision, which was platted in 1945, later donated several lots to the Boy Service Council, Inc. for a playground. Through the efforts of Duval County Commissioner Ray Greene, Judge Walter Criswell, and others who were striving to prevent juvenile delinquency, the park opened in April 1950. It was the countyís first playground with athletic facilities. After consolidation in 1968, and ten years later, the city purchased the park property from Big Brothers of Greater Jacksonville (formerly the Boy Service Council). A fire gutted the community center in the mid-1990ís. A new 3,500 square foot community center was opened June 22, 2007, and now offers a myriad of activities. Adjacent to the center is a small community swimming pool.