||Murray Hill Art Center at Herbert Bayer Park is located in the Murray Hill Heights section of southwest Jacksonville. In 1949, the City purchased the park property, including the building that originally housed the Murray Hill Baptist Church. The park opened soon thereafter, and was originally named for Herbert Bayer (1900-1971), the dean of Florida’s legislative reporters, who lived near the park. Mr. Bayer covered every legislative session for the Florida Times Union between 1925 and his retirement in 1964. After use as a community center, the building sat empty, when through the efforts of the Murray Hill Civic Club and the City, it opened for art programs in 1985. Classes were offered in watercolor painting, weaving, basketry, quilting, pottery and more, and the Civic Club held monthly meetings at the Center. The programs expanded through the 1980’s, and it is the City’s principal visual arts center in 2005.