||The Armory Building is situated in downtown Jacksonville, at the northeast corner of State and Market Streets. Built in 1915-1916 to house the local National Guard of Florida, the three-story, Gothic-Revival style building (with basement) contained a drill hall/auditorium with a stage and balcony. Other amenities included a swimming pool, gymnasium, bowling alleys, finely appointed reception rooms, a kitchen and mess hall, along with a rifle/pistol range, a billiard/pool room, and a library. For over forty years, the building also served as the City’s principal public facility for entertainment/social events, such as an address by first lady Eleanor Roosevelt, dances, boxing matches, and concerts by well-known singers. After the Guard moved to a new facility, the Department of Recreation and Public Affairs took over the building in 1973, and since that time it has been the headquarters for the City’s parks and recreation system until 2010.