||Marjenhoff Park is situated in Reed’s Subdivision, just east of the City’s San Marco area. The neighborhood was named for its developer, Harrison Reed, who served as governor of Florida from 1868-1873. From 1907 to 1932, South Jacksonville was a separate municipality, to which Lilla M. White conveyed the land for the park in 1923. The site remained little more than a swamp until Alex D. Marjenhoff, a resident who lived near the site and also served on the South Jacksonville City Council from 1928 to 1932, initiated efforts to develop the park in 1929. The City filled in the marsh, created a small lake with an island, and with the help of the neighborhood residents, planted trees and other plants to beautify the grounds. At the residents’ request, the City named the park in honor of Mr. Marjenhoff in October 1931. Today, the park is a favorite spot for small group picnics and quiet relaxation.