||Marion Park is located in the in the Lake Forest section of northwest Jacksonville. After filing of the first plat in 1926, it was not until around 1944 that development resumed again in Lake Forest, whose streets and parks exhibit an American Revolutionary War theme. Marion Park is one of two half-oval parks that were named and platted by the developers in 1944. Francis Marion (1732-1795), for whom the park is named, hastened the victory by the Continental (American) forces in the War, which began April 19, 1775. Nicknamed the Swamp Fox because of his elusive tactics, he rose to the rank of general and commanded the militias of North and South Carolina against the British. Later, the fort in St. Augustine bore his name from 1825 until 1942. The park contained the tennis courts and playground equipment in 1965, and improvements over the years added picnic facilities in 1999 and a water-feature playscape in 2001.