||The Lillian Saunders Center is located in the Spring Park area of Southside. The City purchased the property in 1965 and built the Center in 1970. It is named for its founder Lillian P. Saunders (1904-1986), who lived next door to the facility. She was a City recreation director and served as director of the Center after its construction. Mrs. Saunders was an active volunteer in the community and a member of the Southside Civic Club and the NAACP. Renovation projects were completed in 1975 and 1991. DPRE staff presently open the Center for once-a-month community meetings and when commodities are given out, depending on the availability of items to be distributed. Also the Center occasionally has a weekend rental.