||J. S. Johnson Park is located in the Brooklyn section of Jacksonville. The area, part of a former corn and cotton plantation, was platted in 1868 by Miles Price, a Confederate veteran who named Stonewall and Jackson Streets after the famous Southern general. The City acquired the park property during the period 1967-1969. The Park and its Service Center, built in 1970, are named for Rev. John S. Johnson (1884-1969). He served as minister for several local AME churches, and was pastor of St. Stephens at the time of his death. He served on the board of directors of Edwards Waters College and the Eartha M. M. White Nursing Home and on the executive committee of the NAACP. Over the years, the Service Center has provided free lunches for children and senior citizens.