||Columbus Park is located in the Ortega neighborhood of southwest Jacksonville, adjacent to busy Roosevelt Boulevard. In 1909, the Ortega Company, founded by John N. C. Stockton and Charles C. Bettes, began development of Ortega, which was designed by the prominent architect Henry J. Klutho. It was one of four circular parks created along Park Avenue (now Baltic Street) and named for New World explorers, including Christopher Columbus (1451-1506), the Italian explorer who discovered America on a voyage for Spain in 1492. Seen daily by throngs of passing motorists, the grounds contain numerous oak, pine, and palm trees. Columbus Park is situated at the southwestern end of Old Ortega, which was designated a Historic District and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.
In 2006, the City and Ortega Preservation partnered together for renovations to the park. Renovations included: ADA access with conrecte walkway, brick pavers, curb and gutter around the park, and a beautiful brick entry and brick signage identifying the Park.