||Lem Merrett Park is located on Ellis Road in west Jacksonville, between Ramona and Verna Boulevards. A portion of the park was part of the original playground for the adjacent Ramona Boulevard Elementary School, built in 1951-52. In 1957, Duval County leased the site and also purchased the adjacent two acres to expand the park; and the City took over the facility after consolidation in 1968. The park is named for Willis Lem Merrett (1919-1978), Duval County Commissioner for the district from 1961 until 1968. During the period between 1988 and 1997, many improvements were made to the park, due mainly to the efforts of Cary “Red” Lyda (1919-2000), who lived nearby and took a great interest in the community’s children. He established a park association, obtained private donations, and oversaw City improvement projects. Presently, the School Board and the City have a joint-use agreement for the facility.