||The Huguenots were French Protestants of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. In 1562, a group of Huguenots lead by Jean Ribault, sailed across the Atlantic Ocean to the mouth of the St. Johns River, and European colonization of the Jacksonville area began. Huguenot Park resides on Jacksonville’s Southside, near the intersection of Spring Park Road and Emerson Street. John and Joanna Hunter donated the property to the City in 1952, with the stipulation that it be used for a park and named as a memorial to the Huguenots. The park was undeveloped in 1969, but by 1977 it had been completely fenced and contained a baseball field. In 2003, the park presents a nice neighborhood setting, with a dense stand of trees around part of the perimeter.