||Sweetwater Playground is located in the Sweetwater section of southwest Jacksonville, in a region settled by freed slaves after the Civil War. According to local legend, the area got its name when a barrel of syrup fell off a wagon into the branch. Between 1949 and 1953, the Sweetwater Park subdivision was developed around the park site and populated mainly by African-Americans. A few blocks from the playground resides the former Cedar Hills Armory that was built about 1957 and is now a City community center. Duval County acquired the land for the park in 1956, but during the construction of Interstate 295, the playground equipment was removed and the site remained vacant until 1980, when the City re-established the playground. A major improvement project was completed about 1992, and the amenities at that time still exist in 2005.